Viewing the world through God's glasses.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Ducks

     Monday night, I found myself inside a take 'n bake pizza store.  I had called my order in and the person told me it would be a wait because of how behind they were.  I waited awhile before going in only to find no other customers there.  Surprised it was a ghost town, I was about to mention how on the phone they told me they were super busy when the young lady at the counter looked excited and said, "What's the score?"
     I glanced behind me to see who had followed me in the store, but there was no one.  "Score?" I said.
     "Yes, the game....?" She said this as if it was the most obvious thing in the world to know.  "You are watching it?"
     "Ummm...no," I said.
     "Oh.  Here's your order, thanks for coming."
     I felt out of it.  I asked the two teens in my truck what sporting event was taking place and they gave the same look as the pizza clerk, sighed and told me it was the College Championship Football game.  Without my knowledge, Oregon and Auburn were locked in a tight contest, which would end only in the finally seconds with a field goal from Auburn.
     I can see those reading this shaking your heads at my football ignorance.   But I wonder if you realize how many contests are in fierce battles around you and the competition and score are out of your sight.
     A couple in a garden once had a friendly conversation with a snake.  A discussion of theology led to an open mindedness, a snack, and the world was changed.  It took awhile for them to realize there was a game and the score didn't end in their favor.
     Spiritual battles surround us, ignored, unseen, and often we are contestants who are unaware of our own participation in the fray.   The Apostle Peter gives this advice "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings." (1 Peter 5:8-9)  Know what is happening around you.
     And for all my friends who are Duck fans.  I did read all about the game.  Does that count?
     

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Pastor, it does count. LOL I am a very avid Ducks fan. As my son said, "Dad, Auburn will remember the day they played the Ducks. In fact, the whole country will." His team, the S. Carolina Gamecocks, were beat by Auburn. He wanted a Ducks win as bad as I did.
    By the way, a few months back, while visiting Dunsmuir, I stopped by the Church to say hi, but you weren't there.
    Enjoyed your blog.
    God Bless!
    Bill Morrison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary, you are not alone in this. I had a friend call to say we couldn't go to a meeting that night because she would be home watching the game.....I heard crickets when I asked "what game"! Facebook is a new world to me so am just about as clueless about it as football but will push on learning as I go. Hmmm that sounds like life itself.

    ReplyDelete