Viewing the world through God's glasses.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Dear Christina...

     Once again the sinfulness of people has touched a child.  The hearts of many are poured out towards you and your family who have lost you much too early.  I find it upsetting to know now your service is  the target of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka.  This group, which is neither Baptist or a true church, chooses to gain attention by waging hateful protests at funerals of soldiers and now wants to do the same as your 9 years on earth are remembered by those who love you.
     I wonder how a man claiming to be a pastor and committed to the Word of God can so quickly pass over verses which call him to mourn with those who mourn.  And while you are no enemy of him, even if he so chooses to think this way, he is commanded to love his enemies.
     Christin Gilmer embodies a spirit of compassion I admire. She is organizing "angel action" for your service.  First envisioned by Colorado resident Romaine Patterson, Gilmer plans to have people wear 8x10 angels wings and surround your friends and families so they may focus on you, rather than the protests of faux Christians.  When I last read, 42 people had volunteered on Facebook to build wings for you.  Your community is donating the money and materials for the wings.
     As I read your story I'm reminded of a poet who tended to his son, badly wounded in the Civil War.  He wrote, "In despair, I bowed my head.  'There is no peace on earth' I said." But as he reflected on the greatness of God he remembered, "God is not dead, nor doth He sleep.  The wrong will fail; the right prevail, with peace on earth, goodwill towards men.
   May the celebration of your life be remembered in light of the gracious God who remembers each of us; who understands the loss of a child, because He gave His only Son.  May His people rise up and stand for truth in a way which nullifies the voice of those who falsely speak in His name and shows the love of the King who welcomes us to a better Kingdom.
  If I could be there this week, I would wear a pair of wings for you.

3 comments:

  1. That was very nice Gary.
    What a loss for this family. A sweet little innocent girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for saying what is in all our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can add my name to the signature line on that letter.

    ReplyDelete